1.0.46 - shader reloading and performance fixes


  • I fixed an issue where 2.3 scripts wouldn’t necessarily be picked up when choosing to not connect to the server (by using undefined as “url” argument).
    No one had actually complained about this as the feature is not commonly used.
  • gmlive-server now knows to look for runtimes in GMS2.3 beta installation directory, and you can also manually set the runtime directory if needed.
  • gmlive-server now indexes GML scripts inside 2.3 extensions, which is necessary for shader_replace_simple update that I just released.
  • I have pinpointed and fixed a case of slowdown!
    Although I have previously assumed the profiler showing that debug_get_callstack (which GMLive uses to figure out the current script name/object event) is taking up most of the time when ran in VM to be a profiler bug, that is really what it was - the more code a script/event has in it, the slower debug_get_callstack gets (because GM runner has to comb through the code to figure out the line number). And the 2.3 version of GMLive is two big scripts, one of which has 600KB worth of code!
    I have filed a bug report for it and it will likely be fixed in future, but to mitigate the issue I have now split up the extension into a handful of smaller scripts.
    And if you are calling GMLive from massive scripts/events yourself, you can set live_name, which will avoid the debug_get_callstack call entirelly.
  • I updated the documentation a little to cover more issues that people tend to run into.

Files

GMLiveForGMS2.3+.yymps 852 kB
Version 1.0.46 Mar 10, 2021

Get GMLive.gml

Buy Now$29.95 USD or more

Leave a comment

Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.