catch_error for GameMaker
A downloadable extension for Windows
2.3 note: this extension is supplanted by try-catch and exception_unhandled_handler, and is generally no longer necessary.
Error messages display can be considered one of the weaker points in GameMaker - default error dialog boxes look unappealing, confusing to player, and give no incentive to actually copy the error, having you often hear that the game "had shown an error message and closed" without ever getting to know what the error message was.
This extension addresses that - you can choose how to present the errors (and whether to present them at all), as well as having the option to not have the game close upon encountering majority of "fatal" errors.
Combined with Sentry, you can even have automatic error reporting!
Examples of what you can do with this:
- Show custom messages for GML errors, or hide them entirely
- Relaunch the game after a fatal error occurs
- Save error messages on exit for viewing or later use
- Pass error messages to external applications
- Automatically collect errors from players
- Use the system as makeshift try-catch
- Use the system to catch uncaught exceptions (... when we get those anyway, which is hopefully is by 2020)
In order to download this extension you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $14.95 USD. You will get access to the following files: