catch_error for GameMaker
A downloadable extension for Windows
Error messages display can be considered one of the weaker points in GameMaker - default error dialog boxes look unappealing, confusing to player, and give no incentive to actually copy the error, having you often hear that the game "had shown an error message and closed" without ever getting to know what the error message was.
This extension addresses that - for normal errors, you can choose how to present them to player (and whether to show them at all); for fatal errors, you can now show a human-readable notice and save the error message or pass it to an application.
Examples of what you can do with this:
- Show custom messages for GML errors, or hide them entirely
- Relaunch the game after a fatal error occurs
- Save error messages on exit for viewing or later use
- Pass error messages to external applications
- Automatically collect errors from players
- Use the system as makeshift try-catch
(as "exception handling" rests on GM considerations list for the third year)
In order to download this extension you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $14.95 USD. You will get access to the following files: